Fuerty firepower proved decisive in derby shootout!

Mulryan Construction Roscommon IFC (Group A)

Fuerty 5-9 Creggs 2-8

It may not have been the ‘Gunfight at the O.K. Corral’ but Fuerty and Creggs produced their own shootout in this very entertaining local derby played in perfect weather conditions at Mulhern Park on Saturday evening.

At the end of the day it was Fuerty who had the more effective ‘gunslingers’ as they eventually asserted control. There were some marvellous goals for the big crowd to enjoy, although it must be conceded that the defending of both sides was certainly not top-notch.

The game had an explosive opening when Enda Conneran blasted home a great goal for Creggs after just 25 seconds. When Shane Dowd followed up with a splendid point we wondered if a surprise was on the cards. But Fuerty, with Niall Kilroy typically effective at full-forward, were soon back in the game with three points on the spin, and then in the 10th minute they were ahead.

A lightning-fast move saw the Lyons brothers combine before the highly impressive Aengus Lyons blasted to the Creggs net. Undaunted, the Creggs lads were determined to make it an uncomfortable evening for the home side and in the 17th minute they were ahead again, Conneran on hand to crash home another great goal. Now Creggs led by 2-4 to 2-3.

Fuerty’s ability to cut holes in the Creggs defence through their running and passing game was causing Ger Dowd’s side plenty of problems. In the 29th minute a rising shot from Gearoid Ennis came back off the crossbar, but Niall Kilroy was there to point the rebound. In the 30th minute Aengus Lyons was the creator, releasing Kilroy, the county senior star rounding the ‘keeper and shooting low to the net. Half-time score: Fuerty 3-6 Creggs 2-4.

The second half never matched the intensity of the opening period and the scoring rate slowed. Creggs hinted at a recovery when they shot three out of the first four scores within seven minutes of the restart, reducing the margin to three points. It was, however, a false dawn.

Remarkably, we had almost 10 scoreless minutes until Cian Murray set up Aengus Lyons for his second goal of the game. After that, Fuerty looked comfortable. Cian Murray helped himself to the fifth goal in the 53rd minute and the local bragging rights now belonged to the black and amber.

Given their firepower, Fuerty must be one the favourites to lift the intermediate title this year. However, they will have to tighten up at the back if they are to lift the Jamesie Murray Cup later in the season.

Eamon Bannon, Philip Neilan, Oisin Lyons, Aengus Lyons, Cian Murray and Niall Kilroy were in great form on the day, while for Creggs, James McKeague, Shane Dowd, Enda Conneran and Darren Gately were best performers.

Note: Congratulations to the Fuerty club who unveiled their new spectator stand at Mulhern Park for this game. It’s a great facility. Well done to everyone responsible.

Fuerty: Joe Fallon; Darragh Heavey, Adam Whyte, Mark Ward; Eamon Bannon, Peter Kellehan, Philip Neilan (0-1); Tom Bannon, Ben McGahon; Oisin Lyons (0-1), Aengus Lyons (2-1), Cian Murray (2-1); Gearoid Ennis, Niall Kilroy (1-4, 1 free), Eoin Ward (0-1). Subs: Ben McGahon for Ennis (20), Darragh Mullen for Kilroy (53), Cormac Lavin for Murray (54), Conor Levin for E Bannon (54), Tomas Clayton for Heavey (58).

Creggs: Sean O’Rourke; Padraig Gaffey, Tomas Crean, James Brandon; Tom Fleming, James McKeague, Paul Brandon; Colin Canny (0-1), Shane Dowd (0-2, 1 free); Matthew Browne, Noel Gately, Mark Dowd; Kevin Gavin (0-2, 1 free), Enda Conneran (2-0), Darren Gately (0-3). Subs: Evan Coleman for Gaffey (37), Joel McPhilbin for Fleming and Michael Roarke for P Brandon (48), Mark Brandon for S Dowd (50), Enda O’Rourke for Gavin (56).

Referee: Ollie Kelly.


Man of the Match: Aengus Lyons (Fuerty)