A landmark south Roscommon residence, called Kiltoom House, Kiltoom, which is situated on 28 acres, has come on the market with Oates Auctioneers in Roscommon town.
This unique property is partially restored. There are four bedrooms, together with associated courtyard featuring numerous outbuildings. To the rear is a majestic walled garden with outstanding stonework.
The house stands on about 28 acres of mature grassland with some really magnificent specimen hardwood trees and is accessed via a short avenue off the main Roscommon/Athlone Road, being five minutes from Athlone town.
This is a truly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to acquire a landmark country residence for which the auctioneers invites viewings and offers.
The house was built in about 1760, originating from an old stone slated cottage, to what it is today.
The property and lands were acquired at this time by a man named Crofton Kelly, whose son Edmund was a very successful solicitor.
Edmund married a lady by the name of Sarah Birch from the UK, which at the time caused great controversy in the area.
The Kelly estate at this time was vast; it is believed that there were over 2,000 acres of land in their possession at this time.
Edmund died in 1845 and in 1856 the land and house at Kiltoom were left to Thomas H. Strevans. The Strevans resided at Kiltoom House until the 1970s and the house there after fell into what it is today.
The main entrance door was set in a rounded porch that went up into a v-shaped roof, ivy and creepers-covered the walls.
From a small entrance hall a lovely curving staircase led upstairs where a corridor ran past the bedrooms that all looked out on the back.
Downstairs were two staff rooms, the drawing room, the study at the back of the entrance hall and dining room, with scullery downstairs and bathroom upstairs looking onto the back.
The three receptions contained lovely period marble fireplaces.
In the mid eighteen hundreds a two storey addition was built containing more bedrooms, kitchen, pantry, boiler house etc.
At the back of the house was a lovely old-world walled garden, comprising fruit and kitchen gardens, and from it an ornamental iron gate led to the farmyard with its fine cut stone stables, piggery and out-offices.
The long avenue leading to the house from the Athlone-Roscommon road, one gravelled path led right to the farmyard and another left to the kitchen quarters.
The main entrance gate was set in a stone wall topped with an ornamental railing, and between it and the house was the flower, rose and shrub garden.
This property has a price guide of €350,000. For more information, call Oates Auctioneers on Church Street, Roscommon town, on 090-6627878.