Log in
Paul Healy

Paul Healy

Boyle Primary Care Centre to open next month

 

The new Boyle Primary Care Centre will open its doors on Monday, October 9th according to Senator Frank Feighan, who has welcomed confirmation of same from the HSE. 

  He said: “The centre, which I helped to secure funding for, will ensure that the local community has improved access to a greater range of health services on their own doorstep and under the one roof.”

  The facility will be the base for the Boyle Primary Care Team and network services, which includes dental services. The Primary Care Team will offer a variety of services such as public health nursing, occupational therapy and physiotherapy.

  “A number of Health and Social Care Network services will also be delivered from the Primary Care Centre. This includes speech and language therapy, ophthalmology, psychology, counselling services and a new diabetes podiatry service.”

  Wishing management and staff the very best wishes in the facility, Senator Feighan concluded: “This state-of-the-art health centre is a very positive development for the town of Boyle and the wider North Roscommon area.”

  • Published in News
  • 0

Former US Vice-President Joe Biden turns sod on €15m Hospice project

 

Former Vice-President of America Joe Biden turned the sod on the new €15 million Mayo/Roscommon Hospice facility in Castlebar last week. Mr. Biden was making his second visit to Mayo in as many years, this time as a private citizen. He has many relatives in the county.

  Mr. Biden said that he was proud that his son Beau’s name would be associated with the new Mayo/Roscommon Hospice facility “in this beautiful land of his ancestors”. Beau Biden died from brain cancer in May 2015, aged 46.

   Martina Jennings, CEO of Mayo/Roscommon Hospice, paid tribute to those whose vision and concern brought the organisation into being.  

  Ms. Jennings told the gathering that the organisation has €10 million in funding for the new centre, which will house a 14-bed hospice and day care unit with family accommodation. It has secured a bank loan for the remaining €5 million which is required.

  The build phase is due to start in November and will take 15 months to complete. The HSE has committed funding for the running of the facility but Mayo/Roscommon Hospice must first build it. A unit planned for Roscommon will be an eight-bed facility and that will open in 2021.

 

  • Published in News
  • 0

Minister will meet HSE ‘shortly’

 

Senator Maura Hopkins met with Minister of State for Mental Health and Older People, Jim Daly, on Tuesday in relation to the external report into Roscommon Mental Health services. She also stated that she has emphasised her concerns to Minister for Health Simon Harris. 

  Senator Hopkins said: “I had an in-depth discussion with Minister Jim Daly on Tuesday and made it very clear to him that serious issues exist in relation to the delivery of safe and effective mental health services for the people of Co. Roscommon.”

  She added that the 27 recommendations need to be implemented in order to deliver a more effective and safer service for people with mental health difficulties and their families.

  “We need to see proper timelines for the implementation of these recommendations. I asked Minister Jim Daly to meet with Tony Canavan, Chief Health Officer Area 2, to discuss the challenges identified in the report and to closely monitor the implementation of recommendations. Minister Daly has agreed to this and a meeting will now be taking place very shortly.

  “It is important that good leadership is shown both at government level and within the HSE in order to deliver a more positive and improved mental health service for the people of our county.”

 

  • Published in News
  • 0

€800k for social housing for people with disabilities

 

People with disabilities living in social housing across Roscommon-Galway are receiving Government support of more than €800,000 under the Disabled Persons Grants Scheme for improvements to social housing, according to Minister Denis Naughten.



  Minister Naughten said that 90% of the funding will come from central Government, with the remainder allocated by Roscommon-Galway Councils.  Improvements covered under the Scheme include grab rails, disabled access ramps and wet rooms. Grants can also be used for home extensions where there is overcrowding. 



  Confirming the allocation announced by his Cabinet colleague the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government Eoghan Murphy, Minister Denis Naughten added: “It is important that people see the benefits of this funding as soon as possible. The grants allow for improvements and extensions to local social housing. One significant development in the Scheme is that ‘Improvement Works in Lieu’ and extensions to privately owned houses are being allowed, where the occupant is approved for social housing. This will help ease the housing strain in local communities.  

  “Planning and progress on some of the works under the Scheme is already underway as the Councils were told to proceed with spending up to 65% of funding received last year. Now the total has been agreed even more improvements can happen.

  “This funding will allow those with disabilities to continue living at home, in the company of family, friends and neighbours in safety and comfort.”

  • Published in News
  • 0

Roscommon