Fine Gael Senator Maura Hopkins has called for the reopening of the leisure centre, including gym and pool facilities, at the former Abbeyfield Hotel in Ballaghaderreen.
Senator Hopkins stated: “I have put a proposal to the Minister of State at the Department of Justice and Equality, David Stanton TD regarding the reopening of this leisure facility and have emphasised to him the positive benefit for the community that such a reopening would have.
“Following numerous discussions with both Minister David Stanton and Department officials, I have been informed that consideration is being given at present to the proposals I have put forward.”
Senator Hopkins added: “The reopening of this facility would be of major benefit for the Ballaghaderreen community as well as the refugees living within the Emergency Response and Orientation Centre at the Abbeyfield site.”
Latest from Paul Healy
- Naughten confirms superfast broadband for local housing estates
- Fitzmaurice to campaign for Group Water Scheme ‘victims’
- Cabinet to discuss Athlone boundary proposals
- Concern as some locals waiting up to four months for driving tests
- Roscommon Hospital Theatre overlooked as Galway surgeries cancelled