It’s a simple fact that one of the most enjoyable parts of the festive season, after family and friends, is the FOOD and the Gleesons Restaurant and Rooms are lucky enough to have their very own foodie, Mary Gleeson that knows exactly how to add the cherry on top of the Christmas season.
“Christmas is all about the 3 F’s in my opinion,” Mary Gleeson explains, ‘Family, Friends and Food and there is nothing more to love than getting the gang together with a big feast.”
Always happy to share her cooking tips and share the love of food, Mary is sharing her favourite festive recipes over the Christmas season to help you create beautiful festive Red Cabbage with Pomegranate Juice that you’ll add to your family’s festive traditions.
All the recipes are on Gleesons Facebook page and on their website, gleesonstownhouse.com.
Mary’s Red Cabbage with Pomegranate Juice
• 2 x 15ml vegetable oil
• 1 red onion, peeled & halved
• 1 tablespoon sea salt
• 2 red apples
• 1 head of red cabbage
• 3 tablespoons of soft dark brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons of allspice
• 750ml pomegranate juice
1. Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan or casserole.
2. Add sliced onion to the pan with salt.
3. Fry for 5 minutes until the onion softens.
4. Quarter the apples, do not peel, chop roughly, add to the onions and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Finely shred the cabbage and add to the pan stirring carefully.
6. Add brown sugar, all spice and pomegranate.
7. Bring to the boil, stir and turn down the heat, put on the lid and cook very gently for 2 – 3 hours.
8. This dish can be cooked up to 2 days in advance and reheats very well on a medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
Latest from Paul Healy
- Father's Day Competition https://www.facebook.com/165747370268228/photos/pb.165747370268228.-2207520000.1560343099./1298902910285996/?type=3&theater
- GAA in u-turn on Runnabracken
- Fitzmaurice set to take the chair!
- Very successful 60th anniversary celebrations for Roscommon Gaels
- Death of former Roscommon footballer