The 3rd Roscommon Castlerea Scout Troop will commence activities on the 5th of February this year. It will be the first time a troop has been in operation in the area since the late 1980s.
Group Leader Erinn Meehan is originally from Dublin but moved to the area two years ago. She has been involved with the Scouts since the age of six and felt Castlerea and surrounding areas in west Roscommon would benefit by having its own troop.
“When I moved here I asked around about the Scouts and was told that the closest units were in Boyle and Lecarrow. Luckily we had enough people interested in becoming leaders in this area, and we’ve had great support so far,” she said. There has been a very enthusiastic response from local parents and Erinn believes it’s due to the number of activities the Scouts can offer both boys and girls in the area.
“I’ve been a Scout since I was six and I highly recommend it. There’s so much we do including hiking and camping and learning skills that young people may not otherwise learn. You also get to make friends all over the country and all over the world,” she added.
Latest from Paul Healy
- Father's Day Competition https://www.facebook.com/165747370268228/photos/pb.165747370268228.-2207520000.1560343099./1298902910285996/?type=3&theater
- GAA in u-turn on Runnabracken
- Fitzmaurice set to take the chair!
- Very successful 60th anniversary celebrations for Roscommon Gaels
- Death of former Roscommon footballer