Former New York Times art critic and Ballaghaderreen native, Brian O’Doherty, is set to receive the Freedom of Roscommon for his services to the arts world.
The decision was made at Roscommon County Council’s monthly plenary meeting on Monday having been proposed by Cathaoirleach Cllr. Orla Leyden.
The 89-year-old has lived in New York for the past 50 years, where he has become a renowned critic, writer, artist and academic. Cllr. Leyden said that Mr. O’Doherty is fully deserving of the honour.
“By bestowing on him the Freedom of Roscommon, we hope that we can create greater awareness of the incredible work of Brian O’Doherty AKA Patrick Ireland and recognise and honour him.
“It is hoped that he will be in Ireland in April. We will certainly be inviting him to Roscommon. He is justly deserving of the honour,” she said.
Latest from Paul Healy
- Father's Day Competition https://www.facebook.com/165747370268228/photos/pb.165747370268228.-2207520000.1560343099./1298902910285996/?type=3&theater
- GAA in u-turn on Runnabracken
- Fitzmaurice set to take the chair!
- Very successful 60th anniversary celebrations for Roscommon Gaels
- Death of former Roscommon footballer