Sunday, 29 March 2015

Titles for Shiven and Dunmore

Congratulations to the U12s from Shiven Rovers and Dunmore Town who clinched their Leagues in the past week. 

Under 12 First Division: Shiven Rovers sealed the division with three points against local rivals Moylough ’79. Going into the match Moylough had title aspirations of their own. Unfortunately for them nobody told Sean French who scored two goals within ten minutes for Shiven. Keith Murphy added a third before half time – only a catastrophe would deny John Murphy and his management team. Ciaran Knowles pulled one back for Moylough but this was soon cancelled by a fourth goal for Shiven Rovers by L Delaney.

As a result of the above result Glen Celtic versus Lough Harps became a fixture that influences the runners-up spot. Glen took a major step in that direction with an excellent 3-1 away win. Eoin Geraghty (2) and Cathal Hynes for Celtic, Robert Naughton got the Harps consolation. Strokestown United have come on good form too late to challenge for the title, but are back in contention for the runners-up medals. Cormac Beirne (2), Killian Fox (2), Keith Murphy and Adam Mullooly all scored in their comprehensive away victory in St John’s Athletic. Conor Feeney and Owen McCormack scored for the home side.

Under 12 Second Division: 

Dunmore Town have led this division from start to finish and wrapped up the title with a comfortable home win over third placed Moore United. Matthew Reddington and Evan Canny again got on the score sheet in a match they controlled for the majority. Moore United rallied in the second half and scored via Jake Curley. Afterwards the celebration around Dunmore were really joyous and well done to Brian Keating, Mick Tully and all concerned on a brilliant season.

Dysart travelled to Roscommon Town in the hunt for runners-up spot. They achieved this feat coupled with Moore United result. Shane McCormack, Conor Meares, Donal Kelly, James Fitzmaurice and Jack Conroy all got on the score sheet. A fine performance by Brian Finneran and the team. They’ve qualified for the Challenge Cup semi-final; have good prospects for the Divisional Cups and a side that could be used as a litmus test in terms of their improvement week on week. 

Ballymoe Celtic had a morale-boosting result against Cloonfad United, winning five two. Ronan Gannon got two for United but they were outgunned on the evening with goals from Shane Gunning, Ryan Morgan (2) and Michael Lyons (2).

Finally, on Saturday Kilkerrin United scored their first league win of the season against the very same Ballymoe Celtic. Shane Gunning scored again for Ballymoe and Dean Muldoon got a second. However a Niall Moran hat trick and a pair from Alan O’Donnell gave Kilkerrin a welcome result for their spirits.

Under 18 Premier Division: 

Match of the round was Castlerea Celtic versus Ballinasloe Town. Celtic opened their campaign with a defeat to Ballymoe and were definite underdogs going in to this tie against the reigning League and Connacht Cup holders. This all went out the window as Castlerea started with a lot of intent and stomach for the challenge. Jarlath Geraghty gave them the lead, capitalising on poor concentration in the Town defence.  Niall Dolan added a second, a fine finish with his left foot to the roof the net. They even hit the post before the break, all this arguably against the general control of the football. Ballinasloe pulled one back early in the second half. A well-flighted free kick was headed to the net by the totally unmarked Lee Johnson. A few more scares occurred for Castlerea under the expected waves of attack by Ballinasloe. They survived these and on a breakaway restored their two-goal lead on 75 minutes. Eamon Green bundled home after a shot come cross evaded the Town keeper and defence. Ballinasloe didn’t give up and grabbed two late goals to secure a point. John Keane and “Hugo” getting the final touches. Good performances by Stephen Murren, Kevin Costello, Mark Kennedy for Celtic. However man of the match must go to Quentin Lynch who directed the play from midfield for Ballinasloe Town.

St John’s Athletic beat Dysart by five goals to nil. However this doesn’t reflect the real story o the match. John’s led at half time courtesy of a Sean Tully penalty. Dysart had an opportunity to level in the second half but missed a penalty. After that the floodgates opened. Tully added two more for his hat trick (including another penalty). Niall Byrne and David McDonald added late goals to put John’s top of the table at this early stage.

Strokestown United joined St John’s at the top of the table with a valuable result at home to Moylough 79.  Alan Murray and a brace by Cathal O' Rourke secured the three points for one of the title favourites. Shane Donnellan scored two for Moylough who performed very well in one of toughest away ties in the Division.

Under 18 First Division: Tie of the round in this division was between Lough Harps and Glen Celtic. Glen took the lead in the first half in a very tight match. Harps plugged away and Niall Asilwa equalised mid way through the second half. A draw probably a fair result for two sides that appears well organised to challenge for this Division. 

Fixtures: No Fixtures for the next fortnight. Club managers are reminded to channel their fixtures queries via club secretary.