Monday, 30 March 2015

Ballinasloe bow out

Roscommon & District League Premier Division side Ballinasloe Town failed to make it to this season’s Connacht Cup final when they were beaten at home by Westport United.

  Ballinasloe Town were much the better side in the first half and with a bit of luck they could be two up at the break. 

  However Westport United were the better team in the second half and scored the only goal of the game with 23  minutes left to play. 

  Good work on the wing by David Hogan created an opening for Pat Fitzgerald and he scored what turned out to be the winner. Ballinasloe Town had a reasonable claim for a penalty in the closing stages but it was not to be their day. 

  Shiven Rovers, who were second in the Norio’s Premier Division of the Roscommon & District League, were surprising beaten 3-1 at home by Cloonfad United.  While having the majority of chances the home side lost their ‘keeper Michael Killalea early in the game and never recovered. 

  Ger Fagan gave Cloonfad United an early lead with a well-struck free-kick and two minutes later John Burke added a second. Shane Hogan pulled a goal back for the Newbridge side before half-time. 

  Cloonfad United, who are having their best season for a long time, defended well in the second half and Andy Glennon sealed a victory with ten minutes left to play.

  Castlerea Celtic moved into second placed and kept their slim hopes of winning the Premier Championship alive when they beat Kilkerrin United 5-1 away at Kilkerrin. The home side were 1-0 up early in the game thanks to Martin Shaughnessy. As the game approached half-time Nigel Ward struck twice to give Castlerea Celtic a half-time lead. The home side were reduced to ten men before David Fitzpatrick scored two for Castlerea Celtic in the closing stages of the game and an own goal near the end made up their total.    

   Roscommon Town gave themselves a real chance of avoiding relegation from the Premier Division when they beat Dysart 3-0 at Lecarrow on Saturday evening. Michael Costello broke the deadlock with 33 minutes played. Paul Allan added a second with 62 played and Conor Devaney added a third eight minutes later.

  In the preliminary round of the Regan’s sponsored Challenge Cup Division 3 side CP Ajax beat Division 2 side Manor United 1-0 at Manor. Mike Kerrane scored the only goal of the game and the Castleplunkett side now have a home game against Ballinasloe Town in the next round.

  In a preliminary round of the Division 1 Cup Glen Celtic beat St Johns Athletic 1-0 at Lecarrow. David Keegan scored the winner for the Division 1 leaders in the first half. Rahara Rovers received a walk over Dunmore Town.

  Shiven Rovers are through to the first round on the Division 2 Cup after beating Strokestown United 2-1 at Newbridge. Thomas Doyle opened the scoring for Shiven Rovers with 15 minutes played following a corner-kick which was headed on by Eric Walsh. Paddy Hughes made 2-0 when he finished off a Darren Cathy cross with 30 played. Mark McEvoy pulled a goal back for Strokestown United with 20 minutes left to play but despite having the majority of play Strokestown failed to get an equaliser. 

  Milltown beat Lisnamult Celtic 2-0 at Milltown in their Division 3 game at Milltown. Andrew McGinley and Brendan McGrath scored their goals in the first half. 

  Skyvalley Rovers are through to the Semi-finals of the Division 3 Cup following a 3-1 win over Cloonfad United away at Cloonfad. Michael Dolan and Cathal Glennon gave the Taughmaconnell side a 2-0 lead before Mark Waldron pulled a goal back for Cloonfad United. Sean Glennon sealed a win with a third goal for Skyvalley Rovers.

Issue dated: 06 April 2012
© Roscommon People