Friday, 27 March 2015

Dysartís goal-den Coyne

Roscommon & District League Challenge Cup Final

Dysart FC 1 Skyvalley Rovers 0 

A brilliantly-struck free-kick from 25 yards from man of the match John Coyne after 22 minutes of the second half gave Dysart a deserved victory over neighbours Skyvalley in the 2011 Roscommon Cup Final played before a big crowd in Lecarrow last Sunday.

  The win ends a dream season for Dysart who went through their Division One season unbeaten and who then upset the odds to turn over cup specialists and hot favourites Skyvalley in this final.

  The match was played on a dry but blustery day and Skyvalley will have no complaints at the result as they were very flat in this outing. They didnít create one single chance in the entire 90 minutes, and they had to play second fiddle to a Dysart team who always looked the more likely to score.

  With the strong breeze behind the backs of Skyvalley in the first half, Dysart knew that they would have to defend in numbers early on Ė and thatís what happened. But they coped very well. John Waldron, JP Kelly and Mark Higgins were prominent as the Skyvalley attack was thwarted time after time. 

  Seanie Fahy, Mike Duignan and Vinnie Costello probed away but they found the Dysart defence in no mood to relent. Dysart were the better team and Skyvalley had very little in the way of attacking play to build on.

  In the 40th minute Andy Higginsí dangerous corner for Dysart was well cleared by the Skyvalley defence only for Seanie Higgins to flash a header goalwards a few second later. Skyvalley cleared. Despite dominating the play Dysart were lucky on the call of half-time when Keith Waldron appeared to handle the ball inside the box but it was not spotted by the officials and the match remained scoreless.

  The final chance of the half came in stoppage time when the hard-working John Coyne had his shot blocked and James Coyne followed up only to see his close-range shot scuffed right of the post. It was a great chance for Dysart and a let-off for Skyvalley with the score remaining 0-0 at the break.

  Dysart continued to dominate after the break. Niall Corbett came on for Diarmuid Coyne and he added even more impetus to the Dysart midfield. In the 55th minute James Coyne got inside the Skyvalley cover but his effort was smothered by Skyvalley goalkeeper Benny Lynch.

  Dysart were getting closer to that all-important goal. In the 58th minute Niall Corbett broke through again but was whistled back for a free by referee Eugene Deering. It was a very harsh award and it should have been a Dysart goal.

  The breakthrough came in the 67th minute. Dysart were awarded a free-kick in a central area 25 yards from the Skyvalley posts when Seanie Higgins was fouled. John Coyne struck the kick beautifully. It received a slight deflection  off the Skyvalley defensive wall and it flew into the top right-hand corner of the net for a superb goal.

  We all expected a Skyvalley backlash after that but it was Dysart who drove on searching for a clinching second goal. John Coyne was again denied by Benny Lynch in the 74th minute. 

  In the 68th minute Emmett Kelly got through the Dysart defence but the ball was cleared before he got a chance to shoot. Dysart were holding on to their lead well.

  As the time ran out for Skyvalley, Dysart grew in confidence and they were unlucky in the 2nd minute of injury-time when James Coyne seemed to be brought down inside the box, leading to strong Dysart claims for a penalty Ėbut the officials were unmoved. Less than 30 seconds later the match was over and the big Dysart following raced on to the field to hail their heroes.

It was a very well deserved victory by a very well prepared Dysart team who belied the pre-match odds to turn in a great display on the day. 

  JP Kelly and John Waldron were outstanding in a very assured Dysart defence, while Sean Higgins and JP Kelly were also outstanding all day too. James and John Coyne were willing and hard-working attackers and John Coyne deserved his man of the match award after a great display capped with a superb winning goal.

  For Skyvalley it just didnít happen on the day and maybe they had one eye on the Premier Division play-off against Ballinasloe Town next weekend. Alan Naughton and Cormac McDonnell were solid at the back while Mike Duignan (first half) and Vinnie Costello were prominent in midfield. But the Skyvalley attack could not get going at all and the failure of Skyvalley to muster one  clear-cut chance in the entire game tells its own story.

Dysart FC: Noel Fallon, Keith Waldron, John Waldron, JP Kelly, Mark Higgins, Padraig Kelly, Sean Higgins, Andy Higgins, Diarmuid Coyne, James Coyne, John Coyne. Subs: Niall Corbett for D Coyne, Paul Higgins for Corbett, Mike Donohue for J Waldron.

Skyvalley Rovers: Benny Lynch, Damien Caulfield, Keelan Daly, Alan Naughton, Cormac McDonnell, Mike Duignan, Shane Blackweir, Vinnie Costello, Dave Grehan, Emmett Kelly, Seanie Fahy. Subs: Brian Croffey for Blackweir, Ollie Brooks for Duignan.

Referee: Eugene Deering.

Note: A big thank you to the Roscommon & District League authorities for providing excellent press facilities for last Sundayís game and the half-time refreshments were much appreciated. The facilities in Lecarrow are very impressive and are improving all the time.