Saturday, 28 March 2015

Champions Glen Celtic

Roscommon & District League Round Up

Congratulations are extended to the Glenamaddy side Glen Celtic were crowned the Division 1 Champions on Sunday. After a four season absence they now return to the Premier Division of the Roscommon and District League. This season they lost only one of their fourteen League games and are worthy winners. Their last league game was away to Rahara Rovers on Sunday and they got off to a perfect start when Willie Comer finished off a free kick from Robby Molloy. Rahara battled on and were in contention until the seventh- fifth minute when David Keegan won and converted a penalty kick for Glen Celtic. Sean Kenny completed the scoring when he added a third with just three minutes left to play. 

After the Game the League Secretary Gerry Tully presented the cup to team Captain Ciaran Trautt. Great credit is due to the Manager Gerry Davis his assistants David Brady and John Mulligan and stalwarts such as Paddy Mc Hugh and Tom Cunningham and many more who kept the club going in recent seasons.

Traditionally Division 1 is always difficult to win and this season proved no different. Ballymoe F C. and Ballaghaderreen were in contention until the last kick of the ball. They drew  0 – 0 at Ballymoe on Sunday  and will meet again at a neutral venue to decide who finishes runners up and gets automatic promotion to the Premier Division.

Ballinasloe Town picked up maximum points from their two Premier Division games and as a result they are five points clear of second placed Castlerea Celtic with a game in hand.

On Thursday they beat Lisnamult Celtic 3 – 0 at Roscommon with Mark Duffy Michael Greaney and Shane Duffy scoring their goals. On Sunday they beat a weakened Dysart side 7 – 3 at Dysart. David Cullen scored three Mark Duffy two and Shane Duffy and Liam Lynch one each. 

In the first Round of the Regan’s Challenge Cup Shiven Rovers second side beat a good Castlerea Celtic second  side 3 – 0 at Castlerea. 

Niall Moynihan broke the deadlock with twenty three minutes played and the sides were well matched until Thomas Doyle and Eric Walsh added two more for the Newbridge side in the closing stages of the game.

Ballinasloe Town kept their hopes of gaining promotion from Division 2 very much alive when they beat Loughglynn United 4 -1 at Loughglynn. Brian Campbell and Jason Touhy gave Ballinasloe a half time lead. Loughglynn pulled a goal back through Jason Horan before 

David Mc Donnell and Ritchie Egan added two more for the winners in the second half.

The Evening Herald Division 3 Championship is still to be decided  following a 1 – 0 win for Cloonfad United over Skyvalley Rovers at Cloonfad. The teams must meet again two weeks later at Lecarrow to decide who will be champions. Skyvalley Rovers only needed a draw to seal the title but were beaten by a better home side. John Noone converted a penalty kick in the first half and while the visitors had a few chances to level the game they failed to score.  

Fohenagh beat Lisnamult Celtic 2 – 1 at Roscommon. The points were of no real value to either side but overall Fohenagh had a good first season in the Roscommon and District league. Robert Hoey scored early for Lisnamult Celtic but two goals in the last fifteen minutes won all three points for Fohenagh.

Issue dated: 13 April 2012
© Roscommon People